Wednesday, December 30, 2009

3 idiots – movie review ( and how it’s close to my college life)

Went to see the movie “3 idiots” today. Some incidents in the movie are very similar to incidents in my college life.

But let me do the review first and then get back to the college life stuff

 

3 idiots claims to be from the book “Five Point Someone” but I found it sufficiently different from the book and sufficiently similar to many college stories that you would have read.

Aamir Khan , Madhavan and Sharman Joshi play three college buddies who have a lot of fun in college. They question the education system, deal with hardships in life and then go their separate ways to meet later in the end.

That’s pretty much the crux of the story. The first half of the film is really hilarious!

Some parts and characters are clearly unbelievable

  1. Boman Irani as “Virus” – while his accent and eccentricity were hilarious as first – it turns out to be an exaggeration – I’d have loved it if the director had portrayed Virus to be an exaggeration only in the students’ heads and not in real life
  2. The delivery scene where Aamir lights up the makeshift operating table and does the delivery using a webcam + vacuum cleaner cannot be believed

Some scenes are hilarious!

  1. The scene where Aamir Khan mixes up the words in his friend’s speech. I was almost rolling on the floor laughing
  2. Sharman Joshi’s comments are really funny.

The connection with my college

Me and my best friend Kaushal, had once climbed up the water tank, gotten drunk and had chats like the ones they showed in the movie. After getting drunk and having loads of alcohol and coming down from the tank , we somehow managed to reach the hostel. I then ran across the field in my college, crossed into the ladies hostel of the college next to mine and kissed my then-girlfriend. ( in the movie Aamir Khan sneaks into the Prinicpals’ house and almost kisses Kareena Kapoor )

There are more similarities but I cant say it on a public blog

Verdict

Positives

  1. Spirited performances by the lead trio
  2. Some really hilarious dialogues

Negatives:

  1. some over the top senti scenes.
  2. Boman Irani’s character could have been better developed – it was too caricatured I feel.
  3. the delivery scene is too unreal to be believed
  4. Sharman Joshi’s family problem was made fun of – could have been handled in a better way.

Overall, the film is worth a watch once – it’s no classic and certainly not Aamir Khan’s finest performance.

Worth a few laughs.

5 comments:

  1. Second half was complete drag..ever since Javed Jafri's real identity was disclosed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved loved loved the movie!!!! You can always find faults but the reality is that it just shines among the other crap we have been given.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came a lot closer to my college life too (the ragging, the stonewalled bathrooms etc.. no drunken drama though :P)... absolutely loved the movie. There was exaggeration of course.. but that's what I love about Boman Irani.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Movie has fultu entertainment value....d first half especially.
    I wish they didnt have that delivery scene at all ....
    and looks like u have also been an idiot at college ;-) I like reviews with the related experience sharing...personal touch!!

    Now I wait for ur review on 'Avatar' :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. @KK : Yeah the Javed Jaffrey thing was a let-down - though I liked the "lota" scene

    @Animesh: Yeah agree. Better than most of the stuff that's coming out these days.

    @Sridhar: Boman Irani's finest was playing the doctor/professor/dean in Munnabhai MBBS if you ask me.. this was a tad overdone

    @Satydarshini: Yeah the delivery scene sucked. I was and in some respects I'm still like an idiot in college. It's fun to be one! I liked the movie cause of the personal touch..

    ReplyDelete